STEEP is a partnership of six like-minded London Nursery Schools and Children’s Centres, across two London Boroughs, Greenwich and Lewisham, each with a long history of high quality Early Years provision.
We are all committed members of Early Education, The British Association for Early Childhood Education (BAECE), and believe every child deserves the best possible start in life and support to fulfill their potential.
A child’s experience in the early years has a major impact on their future life chances.
A secure, safe and happy childhood is important in its own right, and provides the foundation for children to make the most of their own abilities and talents as they grow.
- Sharing principles of practice, but unique in identity.
- Gaining strength from each other and our shared understanding of pedagogy and principles guiding our early years practice with children and their families.
- Drawn together by Goldsmiths, University of London, to form a partnership to co-construct a teacher training programme specialising in the teaching of children in the early years of their education.
- We have been working closely together for the last 6 years. We have developed, in partnership with Goldsmiths University, a PGCE with an Early Years specialism. We recruit, through School Direct, a cohort of Initial Teacher Training students every year who are then attached to one of the STEEP Nursery Schools for the year. The STEEP students go to Goldsmiths for their theory and National Curriculum input. They also do a school placement in Reception and Key Stage 1. We have a 100% record for the STEEP students passing the course and gaining employment.
In 2014 Chelwood Nursery School became the lead school for the STEEP Teaching School Alliance.
In 2015 STEEP ran School Direct for the first time.
The participating Nursery Schools are:
Abbey Wood Nursery School
Chelwood Nursery School and Designated Teaching School
Clyde Nursery School and Children's Centre
Pound Park Nursery School
Rachel McMillan Nursery School and Children’s Centre
Robert Owen Nursery School and Children’s Centre
Greenwich Community Schools Partnership - GCSP
GCSP is a recently formed collaboration of 18 cross phase local schools. Rachel McMillan Nursery School is a founder member.
GCSP is a diverse group and consists of nursery schools; special schools; primary schools and secondary schools.
We have agreed that we will:
- Share expertise
- Heach other in difficulty
- Develop an exceptionally strong common workforce
- Provide model community schooling in Greenwich to rival any other provision.
- Act as a force multiplier so we may achieve more together than apart
Our first piece of work was to compare and contrast our work with Pupil Premium money.
Our latest venture is to look at play, wellbeing and mental health across the schools.